Re: [stella] Trick12 - inv3.bin

Subject: Re: [stella] Trick12 - inv3.bin
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:45:58 -0500
On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:15:52 -0500, you wrote:

>At 01:35 PM 3/11/01 -0800, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>>This is REALLY COOL and opens up the door to a lot of different games that
>>would otherwise be constrained to six sprites or the use of playfield.  For
>>instance, Okie Dokie could be rewritten for 12 sprites, or a version of
>>Othello or Go.
>
>I'm thinking, how cool would an 11 by 5 Space Invaders clone be using this
>trick.... Even if there may not be enough cycles left to draw things like
>missiles when they pass through the scanlines occupied by the invaders....

Would now be the time to show everyone this?  I've actually been sitting
on it for a couple years or so, wondering if I'd ever get around to
finishing it.  The tricky part is not drawing the 11 x 5 grid, it's being
able to turn on and off each individual invader.  There is definitely no
time on scanlines occupied by invaders to draw missiles, BUT there _is_
time on the scanlines between rows of invaders -- a missile can be turned
on at that time and then turned off during the next gap.

Let's see if anyone can figure out how I did this without looking at the
binary, or even with looking at the binary :)