Aw: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Little progress...

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Little progress...
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 19:50:15 +0100 (CET)
Hi Glenn!

> That's just one example of sprite multiplexing.

Just in case you've forgotten, I show you how superior Bobs code is. I knocked this little demo piece together, Where I did just some very little changes to trim his sprite multiplexer to my purpose. I already merged my 'move' routine in, so you'll find the behaviour of the bullets quite familiar.

It recycles just Player0 for eight bullets and you nearly can't see 'em flicker at all. Fortunately I've not just one object reserved for bullets, but 3. I'll try to tweak around with this some more, I assume flicker could be reduced next to nothing. (Except the case when both players fire more than 3 bullets on the same horizontal scanline)

(Hm... with this routine one could very easily port the C64 game 'Zolyx' to the VCS :-))

> Consider that Solaris
> doesn't have RAM in the cart and they are considerably more complicated
> than your game is likely to be.  Bob has the Solaris sourcecode up on his
> site so you can compare how that game does it.

I'll do so, too. But I've just to play with my new toy now. I just understand about 50% of what Bobs doing and I'll try to assimilate the other half at the moment :-)

Greetings,
     Manuel