[stella] Dungeons

Subject: [stella] Dungeons
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:09:03 +0200 (CEST)
Stirling Newberry wrote:

> I've been working on storing the maze from an adventure
> type game in RAM (yeah, I know I should be figuring out
> how to get rid of the CRC lines...) so that actions can
> change which room is attached to which...

When I was playing 'Gateway To Apshai' (a roguelike game) lately, I spent some time thinking about realizing such a game on the VCS. Would be a very tough job I think. It'd be easy to do it the 'Berzerk'/'Adventure' way, but having a *real* scrolling PF maze might be very hard to do. You'd need some algorithm which can expand the position you're currently viewing out of the complete compacted level from the ROM into the RAM. This means you'd have to generate up to six new tables of PF Data on the fly, whenever the screen scrolls.
I think it might be doable. Probably Thomas could :-)

If you'd do it full-screen this'd cost... *calculating* 192/6= 36 Bytes per PF-Byte * 6 (rectangular blocks) = 192 Bytes of RAM... Oooops... Ok, maybe no fullscreen maze :-)
Then... hm... reflect the playfield, forget about PF0... = 36*4 = 128. Ah, coming closer... Have some status lines on Bottom/Top and we've sufficient RAM...

Ok, noted everything into my 'designs/ideas/thoughts' book. Have to finish Gunfight first, then Star Fire, then probably that other project I recently started... :-)

Greetings,
     Manuel

-