[stella] Gunfight 2600: The final Kernel!

Subject: [stella] Gunfight 2600: The final Kernel!
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:07:53 +0200
Hi there!

Yet another time I was reworking the whole Gunfight kernel and I'm
willing to give it a final state.

I now tried to make it as variable as possible, for offering a wide
range of different levels. That means amongst other things introducing
variables and indirect reads (ABS),Y instead of ABS,X. This was eating
so many cycles that in the end not even enough cycles for a third
CPX,PHP sequence where left, so I had to reduce the max # of bullets per
cowboy to 2. On other parts of the game this earned a lot of cycles and
some 6 bytes of RAM, so I'm not too sad about that. Besides, it was crap
looking anyway now, since third bullet would always have the same colors
as the obstacles, so when flying diagonal it'd behave like a chameleon -
always changing colors...

Apart from that, I introduced some sort of a *level* concept into the
game now. At the moment I'm showing 4 different levels (cycle through
'em with the Reset button!).
They are:

Non-Moving/Shootable		coach
Moving/Shootable		coach
Non-Moving/Non-Shootable	rocks
Moving/Non-Shootable		rocks

Shootable objects are limited to 16 lines, wheras Non-shootable can be
_way_ longer. Apart from that, every obstacle can have it's own color
scheme.

In the final game, I intend to add four more levels (i.e. differnt
graphics). I want to apologize for the primitive (and recycled) design
of the levels at the moment, these were just some quick drawings to show
the concept. Of course I'll later replace the Non-Moving coach with
something different. And maybe instead of moving rocks some cattle
stampede, hehe...
(Anybody here want to design a level for Gunfight? Any help appreciated
:-) Tell me if you're interested, and I send tec-specs describing how
I'd need the graphics. Have your own level in Gunfight 2600! :-))

Ok, now I'm done with that, next step will be to put some function into
the ammunition boxes (they're already displayed, in case you're
wondering what these boxes on top/bottom are), then maybe some collision
detection... And of course some 6-Digit eye-candy for the status display
:-)

Greetings,
	Manuel