Re: [stella] Infogrames considers Atari 2600 B-Side release!

Subject: Re: [stella] Infogrames considers Atari 2600 B-Side release!
From: John Matthews <jvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Jun 2001 18:01:29 -0400
On 07 Jun 2001 17:43:42 -0400, Christopher A. Haslage wrote:
> This deals with a problem that needs to be solved.  There are some GREAT
> games that use the paddle controls and I want others to enjoy them too.
>
> Someone suggested to use the joypad, but that seems the best that can be
> done.  Using the left and right and having them use variable speeds or
> something such.  Granted, it doesn't give you that fast-paced control, but
> maybe with a button push it can simulate it as best as possible.

My humble suggestion is that you take advantage of 6 of the positions on
the d-pad. That is:

nw = fast left
w = left
sw = slow left

ne = fast right
w = right
e = slow right

Maybe let the L and R shoulder buttons be "slam full out" in each
direction, respectively, so that (e.g.) in a Breakout-style game you
could slam the on-screen paddle all the way to one side like you could
with a real Atari 2600 paddle controller.

Just an off-the-cuff idea.

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2859                         \ Use        _o)
Duke University    \ em: jvmatthe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx               \ GNU/Linux /\\

-