Aw: Re: [stella] Paddles

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Paddles
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:57:33 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Rob!

> I think you could do Warlords this way too, but I recognize that there are
> Warlords purists out there and nothing will make them happy but a real,
> full-size Atari paddle.  Luckily, they wouldn't buy GBA versions of Atari
> games anyway because being purists, they couldn't stand the idea of the
> 2600's 200 lines of vertical resolution being compressed down to the GBA's
> 160.  (Yes, I'm saying I don't think 2600 emulation will work unless you
> turn the GBA on its side and put up with vertical squish.)

Is that true with the 160 lines? I think then any emulation project is
doomed to fail. You'd be faster in recreating everything from scratch
then.

When emulating, you'd have not only to reverse-enigineer every game you'd
like to include, but to do major gameplay redesign work for every game as well.

Just resizing the graphics to 83,3% vertically would obviously turn out
as complete crappy mess and with just cutting off 32 lines you'd destroy
99% of all games for sure.

I'd say not even Breakout would feel *original*, if you'd cut 32 lines from
the area between the bricks and the paddle. Besides, it'd be very hard to mod
it that way. Saying so comes from my lately experience that it took me almost
two hours to just change the colors for that 'Pink Floyd Breakout' mod I did
lately.

Probably Andrew could estimate how long it'd take him to cut 32 lines
out of 'QB' - if possible at all. And then his an advanced master degree expert
on his own source of course.

Or take Thrust. How much time would you need for cutting 32 lines in
it, Thomas?

Greetings,
     Manuel

-