Re: [stella] 2600 emu for GBA

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emu for GBA
From: Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 16:01:37 -0230
[sorry to continue an offtopic discussion, but I find it hard to
 resist]

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 09:17:07AM -0700, Glenn Saunders wrote:
> This is kinda going off topic, but I was wondering why it is that Nintendo
> hardware always seems to use an odd number for its featureset.  For
> instance, the Nintendo 8-bit has a color palette of what, 52 colors or
> something?  And the GBA can display 511 colors at once.  Neither of these
> align to an even multiple of 8 bits.  It seems really odd.

The GBA is pretty regular. (and, as Andrew said, the 511 colors (of 32k)
is logical, and is only in some modes) It's a lot nicer to work on (for
sprite-based titles) than, say, PSX (where sprites are just texture
mapped rectangles, and video ram is a real pain to access).

The 52 colors on the NES was due to mirroring, though, wasn't it?
ISTR the palette was 4*16 but palette entry 0 was mirrored at three
other positions in each set of 16 colors, something like that?
It's been a little while since I played with the NES.

The original gameboy was pretty regular, too, iirc. Of course, the 6502
is much cooler than the Z80. ;-)

Speaking of messed up, though, ever looked at the packing of instructions
on various RISC processors? I'm not sure about ARM, but I know AXP has
the most screwed up way of packing instructions... the bits for the
opcode and operands are scattered all over the word.

--
  -/
 |/|  Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
 /-