Re: [stella] 2600 emu for GBA

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emu for GBA
From: Greg Miller <gmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:58:42 -0500
Glenn Saunders wrote:

At 02:20 PM 6/27/2001 -02-30, you wrote:

The page sounds pretty correct, btw -- I am continually impressed with
what the GBA can do... unfortunately it has pushed me to further delay

This is kinda going off topic, but I was wondering why it is that Nintendo hardware always seems to use an odd number for its featureset. For instance, the Nintendo 8-bit has a color palette of what, 52 colors or something? And the GBA can display 511 colors at once. Neither of these align to an even multiple of 8 bits. It seems really odd.

I haven't investigated the GBA hardware at all, but they not be including the background color. Alternatively, the hardware may use one color as a special case (maybe transparent blits?). That would be sort of like IA-64's 126 floating point registers--they set aside FR0 for the number 0.0 and FR1 for 1.0.

In the case of the NES's 52, would that include sprites and such? Sprites often have their own palettes, making the total number of colors displayable a sum of multiple powers of two.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/ http://www.indie-games.com/
I've often thought intelligence agencies should recruit idiots, as

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/