Re: [stella] vcs net play A0?=

Subject: Re: [stella] vcs net play A0?=
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 15:28:54 -0400
>There are no random elements in VCS emulation apart from the user
>input. You only have to make sure that the emulator on both machines
>starts at the same time. But you can make that part of the transfer
>protocol. Also you are rendering the frame faster than the PC should
>display them, therefore you need to syncronize with a 50/60 Hz
>clock anyway. The time you spend waiting for the video sync can
>easiely be used to transfer the user input between the two machines,
>if the connection would be fast enough, what the internet currently
>isn't.

Actually... On the 2600, you need to be able to respond instantly to
controller input.  Not all games simply check it once per 50/60 Hz frame,
with the obvious exception being anything that reads the paddles.  Have
a paddle read miss by even one scanline (0.0063 milliseconds), and the
onscreen paddle missed the ball on one machine and not the other, and
there goes any hope of synched emulation.

I don't think peer-to-peer emulation is even possible.  Client-server
certainly is, which must be what Nesticle and all the other emulators
capable of it are doing.

-