Re: [stella] Help! Technical problem!

Subject: Re: [stella] Help! Technical problem!
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Jake Patterson wrote:

> Attached you will find a file named baubles2.asm.  For some reason, when I
> try to assemble it with DASM in MPW, I get an error type 2, and MPW
> "unexpectidly quits".  After that happens, in order to get DASM to
> assemble anything at all, I have to do three things:  throw away the MPW
> preferences, replace the DASM tool in the MPW folder with an uncorrupted
> copy, and restart my Powerbook.  It will then work normally for other asm
> files, but my latest version of baubles will make it go boom.

I don't know anything about Macs, but there's lots of errors in the source
code that will cause DASM to complain and fail to assemble.

For one thing, you've used TopLines 3 different times as a loop label.
Also, DASM is case-sensitive, you've used HSPFirstLoop and HSPFIrstloop to
mean the same label, but to DASM they're 2 different labels.

Also, you've got lines line `LDA foo, X'... the space before the X seems to be
confusing the assembler. Should read `LDA foo,X'.

I'm not sure if it's a typo or not, but there is no PF3 register (PF0, PF1,
PF2 are the 3 playfield regs)

Finally, you typed GameGameCalc where you probably meant just GameCalc.

I've added the error messages at the bottom of this message, it sounds like
your command line shell is dying on you before you get a chance to read them.

Hope this helps,

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

---

output of `dasm baubles2.asm -obaubles2.bin -f3 -v3':

DASM V2.12.04, high level Macro Assembler
(C)Copyright 1988 by Matthew Dillon, All Rights Reserved
Improvements (C)Copyright 1995 by Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert, All Rights Reserved
Include: baubles2.asm
Include: vcs.h
mismatch   TopLines f0eb(r )  pc: f1cf
line  396 baubles2.asm Label Mismatch
mismatch   TopLines f1cf(r )  pc: f28d
line  540 baubles2.asm Label Mismatch

END OF PASS: 1
Segment---     init-pc  init-rpc finl-pc  finl-rpc
      code     f000     ????     ff00     ????
Reasons:  148,  89   Reasoncode: 00006001
SYMBOL LIST:  (Unresolved symbols only)
       PF3 ????(r )
HSPFIrstLoop ????(r )
HFPFIrstLoop ????(r )
         X ????(r )
GameGameCalc ????(r )
END SYMBOL LIST
Include: baubles2.asm
Include: vcs.h
mismatch   TopLines f28d(r )  pc: f0eb
line  225 baubles2.asm Label Mismatch
mismatch   TopLines f0eb(r )  pc: f1cf
line  396 baubles2.asm Label Mismatch
mismatch   TopLines f1cf(r )  pc: f28d
line  540 baubles2.asm Label Mismatch

END OF PASS: 2
Segment---     init-pc  init-rpc finl-pc  finl-rpc
      code     f000     ????     ff00     ????
Reasons:   28,  25   Reasoncode: 00004001
SYMBOL LIST:  (Unresolved symbols only)
       PF3 ????(r )
HSPFIrstLoop ????(r )
HFPFIrstLoop ????(r )
         X ????(r )
GameGameCalc ????(r )
END SYMBOL LIST
Include: baubles2.asm
Include: vcs.h
mismatch   TopLines f28d(r )  pc: f0eb
line  225 baubles2.asm Label Mismatch
mismatch   TopLines f0eb(r )  pc: f1cf
line  396 baubles2.asm Label Mismatch
mismatch   TopLines f1cf(r )  pc: f28d
line  540 baubles2.asm Label Mismatch

END OF PASS: 3
Segment---     init-pc  init-rpc finl-pc  finl-rpc
      code     f000     ????     ff00     ????
Reasons:   28,  25   Reasoncode: 00004001
SYMBOL LIST:  (Unresolved symbols only)
       PF3 ????(r )
HSPFIrstLoop ????(r )
HFPFIrstLoop ????(r )