Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report

Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 19:14:22 +0100
Glenn Saunders schrieb:

> That's a BIG project.  That's what The Dig was supposed to be.  It's a big
> time-commitment to do something like that.  This list has been around for
> about 5 years now.  Most of the code that's posted here are works in
> progress (towards particular games) which might not be useful as a generic
> code snippets.  There is a lot of filtering that would have to be done.

Yup. For the complete guide - yes!
That's why I volunteered only for three of the topics :-)
Here's what I've had in mind for these:

26. Essential Stella Demos With Source

Provide only the latest version of working demos.

This section should at least feature:
(availability of the source is _mandatory_)

Pieros X-Mas Demo
Look Mom No flicker
Kung-Fu Sprites
Say
Ship
Bounce
Droid
Some Scroller Demos
Some Invaders Demos

Stuff like that... I really mean _essential_ here.

27. Finished Stella Games With Source

Provide only the latest version of working games.

This section should at least feature:
(availability of the source is _mandatory_)

Minesweeper
Yatzee
Qb
Okie Dokie
SCSISIDE
Dark Mage

(Oystron/Thrust/TPS if we get the source...)

Stuff like that... I really mean _finished_ here.

29. Tools To Use/Know

This section should at least feature:

The VB Playfield designer
Eckhards graphics converters
The PERL graphics converters
DASM
DISTELLA
Both color selectors
Paddled Sound Utility
Thomas' Clone Finder & Sound finder

Stuff like that... ready to use tools, sorted by platform.

I'd like to sort all of this out, if I find the time...

> The list is available up to 1999 on the Stella CD.   I could send you the
> stuff from the CD but it would take a while even via DSL.  For newer stuff,
> contact Omar Thameen.

You probably could zip it into one file, then zip this file again.
some MB wouldn't hurt if we stay below 10MB. If it gets bigger we'd need
to do an upload/download solution. Maybe parting it into one ZIP per
year.
In the past for doing the 'Alpha' demo, I used some download wizards to
download the files from the archives month by month. But it's quite a
stupid job to do... (I think a short timed FTP Read-Access to the
biglist server would out of question?)

What would really brillinat would be this:
If someone had the complete archive gathered in a single netscape
folder!
Anyone? Eckhard?
How big would that be zipped?

> Omar Thameen <omar@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The archive up to 1999 would be enough for the start. How big would that
be? (This'd include a lot HTML overhead I assume? And all Files renamed
into xxxxxxx.bin?)

Greetings,
	Manuel

-