Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report

Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:08:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Brian!
>
> > http://www.urchlay.com/stelladoc/v2/toc.html
>
> It is a good starting base, but not really a V2 :-)

Well, not yet... Right now it's more of an `annotated V1'.

> If this shall grow into a real tutorial like
> 'VCS Programming in a nutshell' I'd completely rip
> it into pices and then assemble it again.

As long as it's not `VCS Programming for Dummies' :)

> I think the glossary is very good, and some of the
> tables would make some good appendix pages.
> But the rest...
>
> What about sorting all that stuff first.
>
> For a real V2.0 I'd suggest some simple structure like:
>
> 1. Introduction
>
> Part A: Basic stuff
>
> 2. Graphic Elements
> 2.1. Playfield Graphics
> 2.2. Player Graphics
> 2.2. Ball / Missile Graphics
.
.
> 29. Tools To Use/Know
>
> 28. Glossary

Looks good to me.

> That'd do for a good start I think.
> We could start with all the old stuff just 'sorted'
> into the right places and one after another replace
> the resulting 'Copy & Paste' chaos into real
> feature articles.

Hmm. Do you mean we should gradually get rid of the v1 guide content?
Or should we keep it, maybe clearly separated from the new stuff? Or do
we just add the new stuff & not make any distinction between new & old?

> But once a good structure is done we all can contribute
> and help fleshing it out.

That's what I've been having trouble with... The original Guide is just sort
of jammed together, maybe from separate internal Atari documents. It reads
like it was written by an engineer (well, duh). But if you read any decent book
on any kind of programming or system admin, either they're written by people
who know how to write in an interesting way, or else they're heavily edited by
someone who does. I'm not sure how to convert the dry, functional descriptions
from the v1 guide into a tutorial approach that humans will enjoy reading.

Your 29-chapter outline looks better than anything I've come up with so far,
I vote we use it. Maybe the stuff from the v1 guide should be kept as
appendices only?

B.

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-