Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:56:38 -0700

Phew... again, this was not meant to step on your toes Brian,
I really think it's cool that you want to update DASM,
but please, start from the right point.
<<

It all boils down to how it's used by people here. I can see the advantage of using a different processor directive for the illegal opcodes, because you can constrain your coding to legal opcodes that way. If you have an accidental typo in your code that would otherwise be an illegal opcode, you'd find that pretty easily because the assembler would error out on it if you used processor 6502 instead of i6502. (Some people here avoid illegal opcodes because they want their code to run on StellaX.)

However, if people have already set a precedent to use processor 6502 and the illegal mneumonics, then we should stick with that.

As for the graphic data representation, am I the only one who would find that useful? I agree that divergent code branching of DASM would be a problem, but I don't see how divergent it can be if the only people revving it are on this list.

I know I don't have a tremendous time for 2600 programming so anything added to DASM to help me work faster, and make the code more readable, I'm all for.