Re: [stella] atari 2600 programming

Subject: Re: [stella] atari 2600 programming
From: "Joel Park" <joelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:23:30 -0400

Maxime,

My suggestion is to check out this page.
http://atarihq.com/danb/a2600.html#devsystems

First read over the Changing graphics the Easy Way PDF file on the page.
Also look at some of the Decompiled code projects and see if you can make
heads or tails of them.    For a good first project,  I would just try doing
a graphic hack of a game.

Once you've toyed around with it,  get the Playfield sample and start
reading over it.

Once you've messed around with that stuff,  check out Ebay or Amazon and see
if you can't find a book on Assembler.  I found a Commodore 64 Assembler
book that is helpful.   I figured the Atari computer assmbler is very close
as well.

Somewhere, possibly on the page I sent you above,  you can find an Assembler
command reference and it tells you what each command does.  That will help
you understand the code a little.

Good luck my friend.
Joel D. Park

By the way:

>"Programming the VCS is hard enough for people who have
>no ASM background at all, even if they're _experienced_
>coders with any other serious programming language."

That's really harsh!