Re: [stella] end of frame??

Subject: Re: [stella] end of frame??
From: Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:07:56 -0800 (PST)
--- ben <ben@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand it, the beam does not return without
> a VSYNC.  But, is it
> common for coders to let the beam sit at the end of
> the frame for a while
> before executing a VSYNC?  I have seen the bahaviour
> below quite a bit
> while writing my emulator:

It's my understanding that not all games use exactly
262 scanlines.  I think that's just Atari's
recommended number.  I think some even use upwards of
280 or so per frame.  Evidently these games still run
fine on NTSC television sets.

My question, then, is whether these 'non-262' games
run at a lower screen refresh rate than 60Hz (I guess
they'd have to), and if so, does *this* cause any
potential TV problems?