Re: [stella] Card Games - UNO

Subject: Re: [stella] Card Games - UNO
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 06:06:03 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> As far as card games go, I like the idea of doing a game that does not use
> a traditional deck.
>
> I have been thinking about doing UNO but I haven't really thought about the
> feasibility of it yet.

Years and years ago, I was going to do UNO on the Atari 800. I wrote a very
detailed pseudo-code AI, and played lots of hands with me playing as I normally
do, and the computer's card chosen by this set of rules... It worked pretty
well, but I'll be damned if I know where that piece of paper went :(

Shouldn't be too hard to duplicate though, I remember the general idea.

> I used to LOVE Uno.

Yeah, it's the 2nd best card game I know of that doesn't use `normal' cards
(the best is Tarok, which uses Tarot cards... no sane human would consider
doing Tarok on a 2600 though!)

> Since there are 108 cards in an UNO deck, RAM would be very tight if it
> were going to be on a regular 4K ROM.

There are dupes of all the cards in the deck. You really only need 54 cards
for a 2 player game... the full 108-card deck is meant for a family of 4-6
to be able to use.

> It would probably have to be a Supercharger game.

You know... I realize this is/was the Supercharger development list, but I'd
hate to spend weeks/months developing a complex game, when 99% of the people
who would ever play it, don't have the Supercharger to play it on. The VCS
is still ubiquitous, the Supercharger never was (are they even possible to
buy still?)

> http://www.centralconnector.com/GAMES/unorules.html
>
> I also think that a hybrid board/card game may have more potential as you
> can make the game more visual and dynamic (think of adding Archon like
> action segments).  Take Dungeon Dice for instance:
>
> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=1555

Hmmm.. First person who mentions Magic the Gathering is getting `the Death
of a Thousand Paper Cuts' from my Uno deck :)

Seriously, I'm in favor of anything Archon-like, that was probably the best
strategy game ever for the Atari 800 & C-64 machines.

B.