Re: [stella] Incoming

Subject: Re: [stella] Incoming
From: Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 06:32:58 -0800 (PST)
Well this is something I knew people would be asking
about, so I guess I'd better explain. :)

Since it's an asymmetrical full-width playfield,
there's really very little kernel time for displaying
anything else, especially since the playfield
registers are updated every single scanline.  Because
of this, there's really only time for putting two
player graphics on-screen, and hence, the flicker when
a shot is fired.  Just to get that amount of
functionality I had to unroll the kernel into 8
scanline segments.  I could have saved a lot of CPU
time by having black lines interspersed with the
playfield lines (like in 'Thrust'), and avoided
flicker entirely, but I didn't want to do that.
Having those black lines interspersed is what I meant
when I said 'blanking the playfield'.

Anyway I'll try to post the kernel code a little later
so you guys can take a look at it...Maybe I'm wrong
but I've gone over it time and time again and it
always seems to work out the same way...

Ben