Re: [stella] Incoming

Subject: Re: [stella] Incoming
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:51:19 +0100
Ben wrote:
> Since it's an asymmetrical full-width playfield,
> there's really very little kernel time for displaying
> anything else, especially since the playfield
> registers are updated every single scanline.

Believe me, I know what you are talking about. :-)

> Because of this, there's really only time for putting two
> player graphics on-screen, and hence, the flicker when
> a shot is fired.  Just to get that amount of
> functionality I had to unroll the kernel into 8
> scanline segments.

When the game starts, both sprites are falling down and are displayed in the same row. So you have the time to display two objects plus the playfield in the same row, right?

Hmm, I think you could use vertical seperation.
But let's wait to see your kernel code (or maybe I use Distella and have a look ;-).

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |