Re: [stella] Is Stella GPL'd? (was StellaX PAL detection)

Subject: Re: [stella] Is Stella GPL'd? (was StellaX PAL detection)
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:12:18 +0100
> I thought somebody said Stella is GPL'd now.  Which in spite of what Brad
> may be saying, has been the case since he incorporated the Ron Fries sound
> code.  So I think anybody can make and publish new versions of Stella if
> they like.  Code ripping for other projects is also permitted.  I don't
> think Brad really has a say-so about this.  At least that's what I think.

That might be the case, but I'm not sure if it really is good
news for Manuel. If Stella is GPL, then his idea of protecting
his games by compiling the binaries into the emulator wouldn't
work, as he would have to provide the source code to anyone
who wants it. And if he had to provide the source code for his
games, that would be an even worse situation for him than it
seems to be now. ;-)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg