Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection

Subject: Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:26:48 -0500 (EST)
And here's my 2 ^H^H 10 cents...

Ebay is a large part of why I'm so bitter all the time.  By putting your
wares on Ebay, you price most people right out of buying your item.  When
I started collecting, you could get most games for under 5 bucks through
rgvc or whatever.  When the Digital press guide came out, prices went
soaring.  But when the Ebay phenomenon started, it was no longer possible
to find cartrdiges in the wild because everyone, even people who had no
interest in the hobby whatsoever was buying everything they could get their
hand on to resell on ebay.  It's a wasteland out there...

Many people are in this hobby because "nobody else wants this crap" as one
of my poor friends stated.  I agree that one of the draws to classic gaming
is that you don't have to give a week's salary to get something new.

I've tried to but a copy of every homebrew that's come through this list,
and a few that haven't.  Granted, I didn't buy every game, but those were
released when I had no extra cash flow, much to my regret.  I'll get them
eventually.

Now I have no problem with an author trying to make extra money.  Especially
at the expense of people who suffer from Rich Kid Syndrome.  But if that's
the only avenue of release for a game, I won't buy one.  Period.  In fact,
there was one game (and I forget which title it was) that the Ebay debacle
turned me off of completely.  I didn't even try to get one from Hozer.

Ok, this has turned into a bitter rant, and I hate it when people do that.
My apologies.  So let me end by saying this:

To any any game authors out there I would offer this suggestion: post some
copies of your game to Ebay.  But also do a normal release though Hozer or
Junie's (check them out BTW! http://embark.to/juniescreations) or wherever
fine games are sold.  And please mention on Ebay that the game will be
available through other outlets.  It's not fair to scalp people.  And in
fact, it will almost guarantee that they don't buy a second title from you
if they find out.

-Chris