Re: [stella] RE: My Atari 2600 15-Pin Controller Ports and Controllers

Subject: Re: [stella] RE: My Atari 2600 15-Pin Controller Ports and Controllers
From: "Junies Creations" <junies_c@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 07:03:42 -0500
> On a joystick cable, two pins are defined as not connected.  On the
> original VGA connector, pins 5, 9, and 15 aren't used.  However, modern
> monitors use these lines to talk to PNP video cards for configuration, so I
> expect that some video extension cables connect all 15 pins -- I could be
> wrong.

Thanks for letting me know about the joystick cables, I really appreciate it. I didn't think they had all the wires.

I thought of using SVGA cables, but the cost of them is actually higher than buying a expensive roll of 15 multi-conductor wire. Not to mention the SVGA cables are usually 6 foot, so nice long controller cables and extension cables are out of the question.

The funny thing is I know where to get 100' of 25 multi-conductor cable cheaper than anything else, except ribbon cable. I don't want to use it because the cable is so thick, like the SVGA cable, that it will not fit the controller openings. I would have to make a lot bigger cable holes in the controllers, and I don't think the controllers could handle it.

I thank everyone for their suggestions, but does anyone have anything to say about me using ribbon cable for controller cables? Anyone ever try this?

There are many reasons why the ribbon cable would be the best option for my controller cables, but I don't know how well they will stand usage. Perhaps I will have to simply make my systems with the ribbon cable, and if their are any problems find something else.

-- Best Regards,

"Junie" - Tom Cosby JR.
junies_c@xxxxxxxxx
Owner/Founder/President - Fellow Atarian

Junies Creations
An Atari 2600 Publishing Company
Wanting to get your Atari 2600 games created? Want to buy "Homebrewed" or other Atari 2600 Games?
Visit us at: http://embark.to/juniescreations