Re: [stella] Marble Craze kernal

Subject: Re: [stella] Marble Craze kernal
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 23:27:16 +0200
At 17.05.2002, 22:16, Paul Slocum wrote:
> Aside from the score and status display, my Marble Craze kernal is
> working!  My previous releases were nice, but I cheated a bit by using the
> Stellar Track text code.  But now I'm finally a true 2600 programmer.  :o)

> It's going to be a side by side split-screen two player game where you roll
> a marble along a path across multiple screens to a finish line.  It's an
> overhead view, and I also wanted the path to have ramps up and down so I
> added the ability to make the path lighter or darker in places.  There are
> also power ups which I just used a missile graphic for.  And it's a paddle
> game where each player uses two paddles, so I had to add code to read all
> four paddles.  The paddle reading is low-res compared to other games (only
> reads 25 unique positions at 30Hz) but I think it will be fine for this
> game.  The playfield garbage under the score is showing the paddle positions.

Looks very promising so far. :-)

One question: How will the scrolling look like?

I'd suggest "delayed scrolling" like I did in Thrust. Else I think, the
horizontal scrolling would look crappy (like in Vanguard) and it might
be a problem to scroll both screens vertical independently.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |