Re: [stella] Crazy idea

Subject: Re: [stella] Crazy idea
From: John Redant <johnredant01@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:29:27 -0700 (PDT)
> Well, these are some very interesting concepts, you
> have to
> think of what the gameplay is gonna be like, what's
> gonna
> be fun about it, how you're going to measure
> success, etc.
> How would scenario 4 be different from Pac Man?  How
> would
> the Dragon fight the man, and be interesting?

You know what, I think I'm going to go for the
Adventure one (Playing the dragon). I have the
commented code already and I am studying it.

> The idea of playing the bad guy is kind of cool, and
> you
> should think about other ways of doing that...like
> what if
> you took the Dragon graphic from Adventure, but the
> goal was
> to eat as many square looking villagers as possible,
> and
> maybe they fight back?  It might be a richer game
> than something
> tighter to the original Adventure.

Actually I was thinking of having three adventurers
versus one dragon. Where the goal is to eat the
adventurers before they kill you and accomplish their
mission.

> But one thing to keep in mind, and I say this as a
> fellow
> newbie: baby steps, man.  I'm fortunate in the few
> game ideas
> that I have are all "relatively" straightforward on
> the 2600,
> and shouldn't need complex backgrounds or lots of
> sprites to
> work.

Gotcha. I am also looking through all the coding that
went into SCSIcide and I think the author has the
right idea. Plan the playfield first, then character
movement, etc...

> That said...(and this is a little off topic, and
> arguably
> just a plug for some somewhat offtopic stuff I've
> done:)
> Sometimes you can make some cool minimal games.
> Using
> javascript, I've made some games where the only
> input
> and the only display is on a plain old gray
> pushbutton:

Ahh! Putting my JavaScript skills to work. Good idea!
Hmm...JavaScript Reverse Adventure. That's do-able,
actually.

John