Re: [stella] Star Fire 2600: Return of the Crosshair

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire 2600: Return of the Crosshair
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 19:14:43 +0200
Hi Clay!

>I'm sure it's possible to do a recognizable wedge in
the same space you're
>using for the TIE Fighters.

Even though I have 16 Bit resolution for the sprites,
right now they have to be mirrored. That is the main
problem at the moment. You just can't draw a Star
Destroyer from the side if it has to be displayed with
mirrored sprites.

>Worst-case, you could have the Exidy ship moving
>top-to-bottom instead of left-to-right. Just don't make
it yet another
>incoming ship. That defeats the entire point of its
existence.

Yup, I totally agree on that. I've some space left for
additional graphics, so I'm thinking about hyping the
gameplay a little up with more & different enemies.
Expect not only the Empire hunting you, but maybe a
certain popular Bounty Hunter will be chasing you too...
:-)

>Are there really not enough cycles left in your kernel
to individually set
>the width for each sprite?

Right now I'd probably have the cycles. (Surprisingly
enough - no one would think that in the demo I posted
yesterday - there's 16 NOPs in the kernel and even more
free cycles... :-))

I'm just uncertain if and how to do a starfield. If I'd
additionally do non-mirrored ships, that'd require an
extra data pointer and an extra ($$),Y load, plus
(re-)setting the mirror flag for all ships.

I'll try and see - once I'm done with the Starfield,
which has a higher priority to me right now.

I just don't introduce the sideways mothership now, or
people will demand it always from that version onwards
:-)

Greetings,
	Manuel