Re: [stella] Wolfenstein 5K

Subject: Re: [stella] Wolfenstein 5K
From: Greg Miller <gmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:17:30 -0600
Jeff Johnston wrote:

Still...makes ya wonder about trying to make DOOM 2600 a reality,
huh? I wonder if there would be anyway to simplify a playing field
so that you wouldn't have to do "full" raycasting, some kind of shortcut
you could make other than limiting turns to 90 degrees.

IMO, the raycasting isn't the big problem (that part isn't bad really)  I
have a customized routine in Basic that could be ported to 6502 (you'd
just need a few tables).  The output is wall heights, so it uses a little
memory.  I think there are plenty of cycles to handle it, tho.

Building the equivalent of Doom with raycasting (instead of the polygon renderer that the original used) would be extremely difficult, anyway.