Re: [stella] Progrmmer needed for Bowling 2 :-)

Subject: Re: [stella] Progrmmer needed for Bowling 2 :-)
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 00:29:03 -0700
At 07:01 PM 9/5/2002 -0400, you wrote:
I was thinking one of those gauges that are so popular on golf games now-a-days would be a neat way to control the amount of curve you put on the ball and your roll's speed, but every time I get to the pins, I'm stumped for an easy way to handle it.

Someone should disassemble both Bowling and Trick Shot and see how the physics are done there.

You want to have a healthy dose of randomization, but maintaining some good control too so you aren't completely limited by chance.

I wouldn't think too literally about the physics. The end result is a pattern of downed pins that seems to make sense. You shouldn't have to track each trajectory and velocity and angle. I think that's how bowling works. If you study the patterns of pins that occur in real bowling, it's not a lot of different combinations, actually. It's somewhat deterministic based on which pin you hit first and how centered your throw is and how much english.