Re: [stella] Skeleton - complete

Subject: Re: [stella] Skeleton - complete
From: Dan Iacovelli <atarivideoclub@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 07:29:27 -0700 (PDT)
--- KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I think an old D&D handheld game used a similar gameplay element. It
> > really stressed me out when I had to worry where I was stepping as
> > well as hunt/avoid the creatures in the maze. Just an idea that, I
> > thought, may be simple to implement. Maybe a selectable option?
>
> Heh, I think I had that game. Marroon colored case?
>
> I'm not 100% positive, but I think years later I looked at
> "Hunt the Wumpus", a text-based classic for Unix (and older?)
> systems, and it occurred to me that the handheld must've just
> been a graphical version of that game. Of course, by that point
> I hadn't played the handheld for years, and wumpus was a little
> too difficult for me to get into, so take it with a grain of salt.
>
> http://www.taylor.org/~patrick/wumpus/instruct.html gives a
> description, http://www.taylor.org/~patrick/wumpus/ is the game
> itself in javascript.
>
> Hunt the Wumpus might be very doable on the 2600, but comapared
> to Skeleton a lot less action packed! The oldschool purists might
> appreciate it tho.
> --
> KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    http://kisrael.com
> "God or somebody save us from any society founded on Darwinian principles."
>    --Richard Dawkins

I don't know if anyone here on the list ever had a TI-99/4 (or 4a) computer
but Hunt the wumpus was a popular game for that system. it was a graphical
game as well: where the hunter goes through a maze. when the hunter comes close
to the wumpas a blood spot would indacte that he's close I also seem to rember
a bat would carry you off to another part of the maze.
btw: Skeleton kind of reminds me of hunt the wumpas.
Dan Iacovelli

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute