[stella] The sad story about my Atari 2600 TV format conversions

Subject: [stella] The sad story about my Atari 2600 TV format conversions
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:51:12 +0100
You may know about my TV format conversions of Atari 2600
games. Most of them are changes to games only released in PAL
format so they can now be enjoyed NTSC televisions (there a few
NTSC to PAL conversions also).  I made them freely available to
the public (e.g. via AtariAge), so that everybody can play them
on his Supercharger or Cuttle Cart. And if somebody wants to
make a cart for himself, that's just fine for me.

And I also gave somebody the exclusive rights to make carts of
these conversions for other people who don't have the right
equipment. Then the guys from AtariAge asked me if they could
sell them also, but at that time I prefered to stay with that
person and said no, and AtariAge accepted that.

But some weeks ago (due to very unpleasant reasons which I
don't want to discuss here) I had to quit dealing with that
person entirely. I asked him not to continue selling my
homebrew games, my controller hacks and my TV format
conversions. The homebrews where removed immediately and there
was no more advertising for the hacks and conversions, so I
thought the story had come to an end.

Yesterday I discovered that he is still selling my TV format
conversions.  He even added a new section to his website to
announce them (BTW: Without giving any credit to me, but that's
not the point of this message) and somebody made new labels for
him. *All* the TV format conversions on this page are made by
me!

Again I asked him to stop selling the conversions. His
reaction: An insulting mail telling me he doesn't care. And
then he even added five more of my TV conversions to his site!

Some people suggested that I should speak to a lawyer, but I
would prefer to discuss this under moralic aspects. That's the
reason why I'm going public, because at this stage that's the
only acceptable way left for me.

Please tell me, what do you think about this?

BTW: I'm not telling the name of the "person" here. Most of you
will already have recognized him very easily and I don't want
to do any additional advertising for him.

*** This was posted to the 2600 Forum on AtariAge too. ***

Thomas