Re: [stella] 60fps vs 30fps

Subject: Re: [stella] 60fps vs 30fps
From: Aaron Bergstrom <Aaron.Bergstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 05:57:48 -0600
Hmm... so if I were to create a 30mhz game I would simply not return to the beginning of the draw loop at the end of the overscan, but instead use an entire frame's worth of machine cylces performing game calculations before I return to the beginning of the draw loop?

Andrew Davie wrote:

The rate at which a game performs its tasks doesn't have to have a 1:1
correspondence to the rate of the TV frame display.  The TV frame display
always proceeds at 60Hz for NTSC (actually, 59.94 but who's counting) and at
50Hz for PAL.  If the game does everything it needs to in one frame, then
it, too, is running at 60Hz (NTSC).  If, however, the game does things over
two TV frames (that is, it takes two frames to update everything it needs to
for one game 'cycle') then the game is running at 30Hz.  If it takes 3
frames for your game to do everything it needs to do (drawing, etc.) then it
is running at 20Hz (60/3).   20Hz is about the low-limit of acceptable
animation - below that things start to get jerky and/or flickery.
Cheers