Re: [stella] Optimized color reduction approaches

Subject: Re: [stella] Optimized color reduction approaches
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:08:18 +0100
> Hm, z26 reports constant 262 lines.
>
> Maybe your line count is broken too. ;-)

It isn't actually broken. We just never figured out how much
you can display in a line before a PAL VCS changes the colour
generation. So we don't count half lines precise enough for
our colour loss simulation.

> Do you loose color on every frame, or only every second one?
> It might be when creating those half lines the TV misses one extra line.
>
> Does the new version work any better?

It's hard to say, since my new TV only shows inverted colours
in about the top third of the screen when a colour loss would
have appeared on my old TV. So the Baboon would look turquise
instead of purple at the top.

The problem still seems to be there, and I would say that it
happens in both frames. Adjusting the length of the 'half'
line might be a good idea. You could have a look at the other
interlace demos, which were showing proper colours on my TV.
But Glenn is right, the baboon picture is too pixelated. Things
would be easier to see, if you chose something that dosn't need
dithering.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg