Re: Re: [stella] DASM 'upgrade' in progress

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] DASM 'upgrade' in progress
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:36:54 -0500
>There's no reason, though, why we can't have a "DASM Atari 2600 macro
>package.h" include file, which is maintained as a sub-part of the DASM
>release.  And even an official "DASM VCS.h" file, too.  Companion files, not
>hardwired.

So how about modifying the processor statement to:

        processor 6502.atari2600

Which would enable the Atari 2600 environment (constants, macros, &etc)

Eventually, you could have environments for a variety of machines...

        processor 6502.commodore64
        processor 6502.apple2e
        processor 6502.nes

For general puproses the assembler remains the same and unless you're specifying an environment this has no effect on the developer.

If these environments are going to be limited to standardised constants and macros (as opposed to whole new commands like PIC and bitstream) then you could easily open this up so anyone can create a custom environment. Use the .atari2600 extension as the basis of an include.

So,
        processor 6502.atari2600

is really the same as:

        processor 6502
        include atari2600.ini

Where the file atari2600.ini is simply a text file containing:

        include vcs.h
        include vcs.macros

<And whatever else>

Obviously we could just do that with the existing include, but it seems to make sense to combine it with the processor command and by using the processor command the developer could be sure of including the standardised environment as opposed to a custom one which is still available with the include.

Chris....