RE: [stella] Climber5 source and binary

Subject: RE: [stella] Climber5 source and binary
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:47:09 +0200
Dennis wrote:
>Would playerMotion here be the "delay" frames I have set up for the
>players (i.e. 4, 3, 2, and 1)?

No, playerMotion would contain "fractional delay frames".

Example: (SBC #$60)
frame playerMotion	C
-	$00			-
0	$a0			0
1	$40			1
2	$e0			0
3	$80			1
4	$20			1
5	$c0			0
6	$60			1
7     $00			1

The carry is clear in 3 out of 8 frames, so your resulting speed is
3/8 = ($60/$100). Fractional!
Other values: $aa -> ~2/3, $80 -> 1/2, $55 -> ~1/3, $40 = 1/4, ...
(but you can use *any* values you like here, e.g. $ca -> ~0.79)

Note that playerMotion is only changed here and *not* reseted when
moving!

>As a matter of fact, where did you get the numbers for the first
>routine? Is there a formula you're using that I'm missing?

I think by now you should have got the answer already. Else it's my
fault and I should learn to explain myself better. ;-)

>you clear the carry bit instead of setting it so a bcc would move the
>player for the given frame.

I am using CLC to be able to subtract $100 (by using $ff) so that the
carry after the subtraction is always cleared and I get maximum speed
then (SBC M: A = A - M - 1 + C). Therefore I am reducing all subtract
values by 1.

BTW: You can use ADC (and SEC) instead. That's maybe a bit easier to
understand.

>$04 - $3F = $C5 -> carry set, right?
>$C5 - $3F = $86 -> carry cleared???

No, it's exactly the other way around. The carry is cleared when the
subtraction "crosses" 0.

>My only question for this is where do you come up with the number 30?
>I understand you get 36 from 30*6/5.

Why 30? Hm, it's 5*6. :-)

But you can use any higher value here as long as the results don't get
larger than $ff. And the conversion to PAL works best when it can be
divided by 5.

Have fun!
Thomas