Re: [stella] 2600 Sound, that time of year..

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 Sound, that time of year..
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:33:19 +0200
> So I'm curious now, if with a correct frame time and VSYNC at the right
> time, why does Pitfall2 still require a special work around ?

It doesn't require it. That's just for speed. Everytime Pitfall2
reads a sound value from the DPC a new value is created. This
value always gets put into AUDV0. Channel 0 is solely dedicated
to playing the DPC sound. Since we need about 31000 sound values
per second in z26, it saves some processing time not to emulate
TIA sound channel 0 normally, but instead use the emulated DPC
sound values directly.

> But, PCAE, I'm grabbing that now, looks promising, but I think in the
> immediate future I'm going to implement it into my own sound emu, just so
> can add more music/sound specific features as well as a 2600 triggered
write
> debug output into a debugger window, jsut so I can debug somewat sensibly,
> and you know what ? It'll be fun to write as well :)

When you do, I hope you'll post your results here. Maybe we can learn
something usefull for z26 from it. ;-)

> thanks a lot for the help here Eckhard, hopefully one day I can contribute
> something back to the community, but for now it's back to a world of SID
> tunes, and dreams of making the 2600 sound a bit like that, whilst doing
> something useful(ish) on-screen :)

While not quite SID standard, your demo sounds really nice on a
real VCS. If you'll ever develop your code far enough to be used
in a program with a meaningfull display, that'll surely help to
greatly improve the music in homebrew games.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg