Re: [stella] Starship 1 Proof of concept

Subject: Re: [stella] Starship 1 Proof of concept
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:13:37 +0200
Hi Rasty!

>> Well, the result is attached. As you see, one could
>> do Starship 1 with really _big_ enemy ships...

> Nice concept...! so a 32-bits sprite seems to save
> enough cycles to do the stars.. cool!

I can freely display all three "particles" :-)

One issue is, that the missiles are double copies, just
like the sprite. It's ok for the starfield, but it means
that one needs to use the ball for the lasers.

> Will there be issues with repositioning when
> multiplexing?

Phew... I think it's doable. Though for Starship 1 I
wouldn't even try: There's only to objects on screen at
a time, so I'd do plain flicker.

The more severe issue would be softsliding those big
ships in and out at the sides of the screen. This will
require some tricky coding.

>> BTW: It's a proof of concept for a Seawolf 2 port
>> with big enemy ships as well :-)

> That would be intriguing as well!!

Seawolf 2 could do only 24 pixel ships. You'll need one
missle unreflected to display at least 4 (flickered)
torpedos at once.

But the gained cycles may reintroduce colored sprites.

Greetings,
	Manuel