Re: [stella] Bounce: what next?

Subject: Re: [stella] Bounce: what next?
From: "Fabrizio Zavagli" <rasty@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:01:49 +0200
Hi!!

Kirk wrote:
> > Yes, the starting location is hilighted with the red border...!
>
> ??? Don't have it at hand to play with but I thought the red border
> was the "currently editing this square" indicator?

Nope, it's the "starting square" indicator.. it's relocated only when you
click on the "Starting Location/Assign" button and then on a square...!
Or at least it should.. maybe it didn't work for you?

> > > 3. in terms of recording path...I would do this by having a tape
recorder
> > >    like "record path" button.
<snip>
> Really? I think
> A. it's simpler for the user, because it's the same interface as the game
> B. it ensures that it's solvable...I mean, they can paint pink dots any
>    where, and fail to notice that they ignored an arrow or whatever on
>    their way back

I'm not completely sure it will be easier than clicking on the actual
squares.. well, maybe :)
I agree it will ensure it's solvable! But <lazy mode>if we, as you
suggested, make the creation of a winning path a condition for submitting,
even with the current method there are in my opinion good chances that the
path will also be a valid one</lazy mode>...
But I'll think of a way of doing a "record path" :))

> It's funny, it would be relatively straightforward to write a recursive
> puzzle *solver*...actually, is the happy face in the released demo
solvable?

Yes it is! The key to solving it is that, in this level, you don't have to
clear *all* the tiles! You can leave 2 on the board (always check the
remaining tiles), and this makes the level possible to solve :)

> I'm on the fence about install programs...

I too would like to avoid an install.. I agree it somehow could give a
"professional" look to a software, but will also discourage some to using
it! (I know I would be :))
So I will keep it as an exe/zip :)

> I dig the music in this game.

Cool! I was waiting for some feedback on it before continuing, since I'm not
that good of a musician (actually, remove "that good of") ;)

> I've been toying with joustpong
> title themes...it's very hard for me to transcribe the funkish
> rhythms I can easily sing or tap on a keyboard into 1/60 second
> intervals without it sounding rather square.

I'd like to release my "VCSTracker" soon, maybe it will be of some help to
you?

Thanks for the comments and ciao!
Fabrizio.-