Re: [stella] Cave 1K minigame (fwd)

Subject: Re: [stella] Cave 1K minigame (fwd)
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:05:16 +0200
> Is that a bug or are all 2K games (using BRK) ORGed at $x800? Someone
> on AA reported that the ROM worked when burned on an EPROM.

I don't think there are any other 2K VCS games that use BRK
instructions. ;-) There are some 2K games that use addresses
at $f000-$f7ff and at $f800-$ffff interchangeably, IIRC. For
those you have to double the binary to 4K before you can use
them on the SC. But since that doubles the transfer time
and isn't nessessary for most 2K games, we leave that to the
user and only map the 2K in the appropriate spot.

If the person from AA used a 4K EPROM, he probably doubled
the binary to 4K as well. If he used a 2K EPROM, then one
address line would be ignored, and the 2K ROM would be mapped
into both slots automatically.

> Ok, I have attached a new version. Does that work on a SC too?

I couldn't test it much. The most current version of Playbin
for the Cuttle Cart seems to have a problem when transferring
games in SC mode. I tried an older version of Playbin, and
version 1.04 of your game plays fine on the SC. The older
versions crash when the joystick button is pressed. So I think
you fixed the problem.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg