Re: [stella] Splatform 2600

Subject: Re: [stella] Splatform 2600
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:59:08 -0500
Thomas wrote:

>While the scrolling works really good, I am not very happy with the
>platform generation anymore. Since only one platform/row is allowed
>the generator behaves different and tends to group many platforms
>together instead of spreading them over the whole screen. I am not
>sure if I can fix this problem, so I might have to switch back to the
>old type of scrolling.

Comparing the two, I don't think the hard scroll is a big deal since the scrolling is only "intermittent" and on irregular shapes (you don't get the effect of watching a horizon stutter along) it's not as noticeable.

That being said, is the grouping a hardware limitation of some kind (are you doing a full reposition of sprite(s) each scanline or just a relative reposition)? Can't you just fudge the platform generation to prevent clumping - ie:, check if there's a platform just above and if there is, regenerate (or skip generation until later)?

Chris...