Re: [stella] the new dig (beta)

Subject: Re: [stella] the new dig (beta)
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:24:13 -0800
At 11:00 AM 12/24/2003, you wrote:
I was wondering if it's possible that when you save an attachment, it
automatically saves under the original filename?  The original filename
is listed correctly in the message, but when I try to save one, the name
changes to something else.  Know what I mean?

The file attachments sent in the emails have the proper filename but by the time they hit biglist they get renamed in order to avoid potential filename collisions. Biglist does store the original filename somewhere, which is why when you view the archive the name is on the anchor tag.

When I screen-scrape I register each attachment by the original name but only store a URL that points back to biglist. There is no mechanism that I know of that can fool the browser into renaming the file during transfer. I'd have to pull all the files off of biglist and rewrite them on my server with the proper filename. I'd avoid collisions by separating the attachments in separate subdirectories based on message_id.

This would eat up a fairly large chunk of diskspace on my virtual host, but it would be a good idea as a backup to biglist.

One trick I could use is to do a just-in-time file pull. I could wait for people to click on a link on my end and if I don't have the file locally, pull it server-side and cache that copy locally.

That way I probably would never need to host every single attachment and to the end-user, the file would magically have the right name.

I doubt I'd ever run into file storage problems that way, but even if I did I could occasionally purge files that aren't being accessed that often.