Aw: Re: [stella] Seawolf: First Playable Alpha Version

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Seawolf: First Playable Alpha Version
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:13:38 +0100 (CET)
Hi there!

> Manuel wrote:
> > Which of the three? :-)
> > (Mines, big or small ships?)

> All three. IMO the volume is reduced too rapidly when getting low. Usually
> explosions have some low volume echoes at the end.

Ok understood, I'll see what I can do. For now I just had them synced to the animation length.

> > I'll soon have extra targets added for this purpose. I'm just not sure
> > after which conditions they should be launched. Timer or Score
> > controled...

> Maybe you have to shot some special ships or some ships in a special order.

Well, with continuing praise to the programmer of Scramble, I'll launch refuel pods instead of mines. Shooting them will refuel/rearm the sub. Launching these after completing a certain sequence is too complicated I think. (Besides from being more illogical than most other ideas... :-) ) I rather think you'll have to sink a certain # of ships to get a pod launched.

> You could allow the players submarine to move up and down to evade
> waterbombs or maybe even other submarines.

Hm... up and down movement would be interesting to try, but displaying an enemy sub wouldn't look too good I think. Or flicker. Or both... :-)

> And maybe the deeper
> the submarine goes the less rows of enemies it can see and the higher
> the more enemy fire is coming.

Hm...²
-> Don't know if I like that idea... :-)

> > Hm... the bigger ones maybe... good idea!
> Yup, and maybe they could also be slowed down then.

Another good idea!

> How about mine laying ships or ships you are not allowed to hit at all (negative points)?

I wouldn't do anything that is subtracting from your score. I never liked that "feature" in other games. Also, the only things that are able to pass through all lines vertically are those flickering 4 Missile objects. They can be torpedos or depth charges. I'll have one of the two bigger ship types firing them back at your sub. But this also means that the own sub will loose one or two torpedos it can fire, ie. I can have 3 torpedos "reserved" for the sub and one for the enemies or 2:2.

> Or maybe you add some realistic scenarios, e.g. a convoy that is guided
> by some destroyers and you try to pick the freighters while avoiding the
> searching and fireing destroyers. And then you could try to slowdown
> the whole convoy be damaging some ships without sinking them.

I'll keep that in mind... when porting Silent Service next... :-)

Ok, there's probably a few things I can do, like having ships hide behind the red cross ships. They can also hide behind a destroyer, so you have to take it out first. Did you mean things like that?

> > I hope I get the gameplay a little more tactical with this game. I see
> > more potential for that here than in Gunfight or Star Fire. Also it'll be
> > more unique then. Rather than just blasting everything on the screen away,
> > you'll have to plan your attacks a little more carefully...

> That's IMO a very good idea. And for people who don't like that, you could
> add a simplier arcade mode.

Yup, I'll have to see if there's any features with such an heavy impact on the gameplay that they'd justify an extra mode. I'm thinking of having the 3:1 or 2:2 torpedo distribution configurable via difficulty switch for example...

Greetings,
Manuel