RE: [stella] Generic kernal or just build a game?

Subject: RE: [stella] Generic kernal or just build a game?
From: stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:23:48 -0600
Hey Kirk,

> Yeah, don't know what was up w/ the maroon. Definately

I forgot the stupid pound sign, just like you mentioned. :)  I'm such a
n00b.

The testing code has regressed a bit and isn't as much fun to watch as the
binary I posted earlier.  I didn't get much sleep last night and am feeling
it now, so it's probably not the best time to troubleshoot my brick-removal
code.  I really thought collision/reflection and brick-removal would be more
similar, but they are apples and oranges.  Unfortunately, my clever half
P0/half P1 ball, which is really handy for collision/reflection, is totally
useless for brick-removal.  There are 32 possible locations within an 8*4
pixel area (a single brick) and the code to determine which brick to remove
is looking to be very CPU intensive thanks to 1) the "giant" 6x3 ball, and
2) the nightmarish flip-flop bit order of the playfield bytes.

I'm able to convert the ball's coordinates into a brick location, so I can
destroy bricks directly underneath the ball to my heart's content, but
that's not the point now, is it? :)  Most of the time, the ball covers an
empty space with possible slight overlap into any of 8 adjacent or diagonal
bricks.  (Thinking out loud again...)  It's also possible for the ball to
mostly cover a brick, if it's moving fast enough.  Depending on the ball's
position within a brick location, I'll need to rank removal candidates,
always beginning with the location directly under the ball.  If no brick is
there, then try to the left, if no brick is there, then try..., etc.  Sounds
like a table... or a very lengthy set of branches.

Anyway, I'll figure it out.  I'm just tired.
-Lee