Re: [stella] Re: Lode Runner

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: Lode Runner
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:23:06 -0800
At 03:53 PM 3/31/2004, you wrote:
The level ROM will contain the playfield bitmap in PF order along with
player/enemy starting positions and some other stuff (like a music track
using Paul's VCS tracker).

Wow. Having a unique song for each level would be really really cool. Then you could theme the music to the theme of the level. That would be a step up over regular Lode Runner, which doesn't have any music at all, and would help compensate for the simpler graphics.

BTW, if you are having trouble with your kernel you really should fully exploit the SC RAM. I read through your journal about how you were doing some self-modifying code and I think that's the key to doing this game right without lots of flicker.

You can basically copy the kernel code to RAM (or have a bunch of different kernel modes and overwrite JMP addresses to script out which to run and when) on the fly between frames. Assuming there is enough CPU time inbetween frames, that would allow for as much flexibility as you can do in a static title screen since nothing really has to be evaluated inside the kernel anymore.