Re: [stella] The Seven Year Itch: INV Returns - inv33004.bin

Subject: Re: [stella] The Seven Year Itch: INV Returns - inv33004.bin
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:34:29 -0500
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:13:42 -0800, you wrote:

>At 07:56 AM 3/31/2004, you wrote:
>>WinXP.  PCAEWin runs just fine, including the debugger.  If sound is
>>enabled, the whole app gets jumpy and stuttery, but it doesn't crash.  I'm
>>using version 2.6 dated 3/16/2002 and all the latest updates of
>>DirectX.  Haven't set any sort of compatibility-mode options in XP.
>
>I'll have to consider upgrading to XP then and give it another
>shot.  Otherwise I'm afraid I'll never finish Death Derby because it
>doesn't look like anybody's going to add a debugger to Z26 or Stella
>anytime soon.

I just got PCAEWin to run on my Win2000 machine as well.  I can't pass it
anything at all on the command line or it gives a bizarre pop-up like "I/O
Error 103" on startup and doesn't work at all, but without any parameters
it works fine.  Sound even works fine on this machine.  What are you
running where it doesn't work - Win ME?

>>Yes, it's a bit fast, and always has been.
>
>I was referring to the horizontal speed of the shooter platforms.

Oh.  That's the same effect as in my previous message, actually.  They are
faster than in the arcade, but they have more ground to cover on the
horizontally-oriented screen.  And a little extra speed does help to dodge
the bombs that do come down a tad faster than in the arcade.

>You might also want to copy how 2600 SI keeps the most of the game loop
>going and changes the color palette during game-over.

The arcade stops the invaders at game over, and I'm fine with it working
that way.  The only other part of the game loop that has any activity when
the players are idle is the saucer, and that does continue to run during
game-over.  I'm fine with those parts of it.

Color cycling might be doable.  All the colors are hardcoded constants
right now, but if I want to do PAL support it'll have to go to table
lookups, in which case color cycling should be doable fairly easily.