Re: [stella] 2600 emulators vs. MAME

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emulators vs. MAME
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:08:27 +0200
Hi there!

I don't think the Bilinear Filtering is the effect that was initially spoken about. I've seen various effects that simulate scanlines and phosphor fade, among other things. These are the effects that really give you the appearance of an arcade monitor (or any CRT monitor, for that matter). Bilinear Filtering is just nice when you are running a game full-screen in a resolution not directly supported by your monitor. This is especially true on LCD panels, although some of my LCD panels do bilinear filtering on their own, so this isn't always an issue.

Hm... maybe I was just wrong when comparing it to an arcade monitor. Or maybe I just meant a different aspect of it. I thought of the "color melting" and the "softer edges". Maybe that's more like what a TV does ;-)

Look at the "bars" in the screenshot Stephen just posted. It looks more like "real VCS" to me then any other emulation trick I know, scanline effects and and phosphor emulation inclusive.

Can't wait for this version to be released Stephen! :thumbsup:

Here's a filtered MAME screen of Ghosts'n'Goblins:
http://home.arcor.de/cybergoth/xype/gng.jpg

Notice how the sprites and the background neither look "pixealted" nor "flat" anymore.
Absolutely brilliant! :-)

Greetings,
	Manuel