Re: [stella] 2600 emulators vs. MAME

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emulators vs. MAME
From: Albert Yarusso <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:22:28 -0500
Hello,

On May 17, 2004, at 1:08 PM, Manuel Rotschkar wrote:
Look at the "bars" in the screenshot Stephen just posted. It looks more like "real VCS" to me then any other emulation trick I know, scanline effects and and phosphor emulation inclusive.

I don't agree, it just looks blurry to me as a result of the bilinear filtering. NTSC and PAL televisions "blur" pixels due to their analog nature, but good s-video output will net you a better result than the Pressure Cooker bilinear image that Stephen posted. I much prefer the pixel-accurate rendering we've come to know and love. In my opinion I'd rather have a pixel-perfect image than simulate a crappy CRT image. To each his own, of course, and I'm not saying the bilinear filtering option shouldn't be available and it would be useful for some displays (LCDs that don't have this ability built-in, for instance), but it's not something I'd normally use.

 ..Al
Albert Yarusso, http://www.AtariAge.com
Atari News, Forums, Media, Guides, and more!