Re: [stella] 2600 emulators vs. MAME

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emulators vs. MAME
From: Albert Yarusso <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:47:41 -0500
Hello,

On May 17, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Stephen Anthony wrote:
I think this is a case where some people will like it, and others won't.
Personally, I don't use the bilinear filtering option either. I just
added it since it only took a few lines of code.

My real reason for using OpenGL was the alpha-blending, and more
importantly, the aspect ratio.  I think everyone can agree that picture
1 looks a lot more authentic than picture 3 (which is way too wide).

Just so we're clear, I wasn't criticizing you for adding this feature, I'm all for adding new features. I was just stating my opinion that I don't much care for bilinear filter when used like this. :) I do agree that the corrected aspect ratio image does look much better.

PS: If I could get the &*&$# sound problems fixed in Stella, this is the
type of stuff I really want to work on; filtering modes and in-game
GUI's. But the default, no-frills, pixel-perfect mode will always be
available.

Yes, some in-game GUI's would be nice. Ideally what I'd like to see is the ability to load a new game without having to jump out of full-screen mode, as the mode switch is jarring and always takes a few seconds (not because of the software, but because of the monitor). It would also be nice to have a built-in UI to examine or change various emulator settings on the fly, change the display mode, view and fiddle with difficulty and b&w switches, keyboard/mouse/joystick mappings, and so forth. :)

 ..Al
Albert Yarusso, http://www.AtariAge.com
Atari News, Forums, Media, Guides, and more!