Re: [stella] The future of Stella (i.e. debugger needed)

Subject: Re: [stella] The future of Stella (i.e. debugger needed)
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 00:14:55 -0400 (EDT)
> If all these systems (several of them obscure and with few if any
> homebrewers) can have debuggers, certainly one of the modern 2600 emulators
> (Stella and Z26) can have one so we don't have to struggle so much anymore.

You could always try MESS. According to the atariage.com news today, a new
release of MESS is out with `improved support for games bigger than 4K',
so presumably it at least runs 4K games now. And MESS definitely has a
debugger (it's the same as the one in MAME). I've watched a guy use MESS
and its debugger to code a NES game (also 6502-based), it's somewhere
between a CLI and a GUI, but it didn't look particularly hard to use.

Last time I tried it (almost 2 years ago), MESS couldn't even play
Combat, but 2 years is a long time..

--
B.