RE: [stella] Ms. Pac Man, Mr. Do, striped playfields, and one-line kernels

Subject: RE: [stella] Ms. Pac Man, Mr. Do, striped playfields, and one-line kernels
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 07:49:21 -0500
> Amazing stuff. Thanks. This might be a good subject for a rewrite
> of part of Andrew Davie's wonderful tutorial, where he talks about how
> it sure would be nice to have 256 byte blocks of RAM for fast sprite
> management. Looks like ROM can do the job as well.
>
> I'll still have to ponder whether I have 256 bytes of ROM to
> surrender to each sprite, but now I know it's possible!

It's definitely a ROM hog.  My ball sprite was chomping up an eighth of my
4K and I was starting to feel cramped for space, so I had to make a design
decision.  Now it's only a sixteenth of my ROM.  Still, I miss the
highlight. :)  I'm considering some ball or missile trickery to get it back,
but it's a very low priority.  (Which hasn't stopped me from coding a LOT of
low priority features before the high priority ones) Hehe

-Lee