RE: [stella] Ms. Pac Man, Mr. Do, striped playfields, and one-line kernels

Subject: RE: [stella] Ms. Pac Man, Mr. Do, striped playfields, and one-line kernels
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:02:52 -0500
> Did you try aligning your sprites at an offset the same as the kernel
> height and using y as a scan line counter?

I had a revelation this morning before I got Thomas's e-mail (where several
other revelations took place).  Basically, I had enough free cycles to build
a "skipdraw hybrid" that would allow me to cut my sprite ROM in half.  I was
starting to code, but then I received Mr. Jentzsch's message that
illustrated how I could shuffle my kernel around to give me enough cycles
for a full-on skipdraw.

But yes, I think your idea would have worked as a compromise had I been
short on cycles.

The sprite data would have looked like this:
ballShape   ds.b 1                  ; Eraser (so last byte of sprite doesn't
repeat down screen)
            dc.b %00001000          ; Ball
            dc.b %00010100
            dc.b %00011000
            dc.b %00011100
            dc.b %00011100
            dc.b %00001000
            ds.b 122                ; Padding

Basically, I would check to see if x was positive.  If so decrease it and
display sprite, else skip.  Simple!

> Take care,
> Dennis

Thanks,