Re: [stella] New guy / my game

Subject: Re: [stella] New guy / my game
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:48:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Jacob Rose wrote:

P.S. How do most people move images into their code? I've been blistering my eyeballs copying pixel-by-pixel from Photoshop (the adjustable pixel aspect ratio in 8.0 really helps do mock-ups!) into a text editor, and then writing Perl scripts to manipulate them as needed (interlacing/deinterlacing data, doing binary math, etc). I suppose I could use perl-fu with GIMP...

I've done this in two ways:

The quick & dirty way was to `draw' the images in a text editor, using
X's and spaces, and write a perl script that reads the text file full
of ASCII art and spits out .byte directives for the assembler. My script
got posted here at some point, search the archives for perl (and my last
name, too, I guess). These days, nobody wants to draw in ASCII with the
keyboard, but I learned to do this before point-and-drool interfaces
became the standard :)

The nice way was to use the perl Image::Magick module. I drew the graphics
in the Gimp (or whatever), saved as a PNG or other lossless format,
and wrote a perl script that uses Image::Magick to read the pixel data
from the PNG image and spit out .byte directives. This script was never
quite finished, and never saw the light of day.

With both methods I still had the aspect ratio problem: I had to draw
in the Gimp using square pixels, so my backgrounds & wide players were
very narrow-looking while I drew them (40x192 square pixels for a mostly
full screen 2600 backround). It sounds like you've got this part of the
problem licked with the adjustable aspect ratio in Photoshop... for all
I know, the Gimp does this too, but I never found it in the GUI.

Square pixels are OK if you're drawing single-wide player data,
of course.

--
B.