Re: [stella] New guy / my game

Subject: Re: [stella] New guy / my game
From: Jacob Rose <labelreader@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:16:48 -0400
KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[...] the game is tentatively called
"Bell the Cat"....if you aren't familiar with the fable, look up "Aesop"
and "bell the cat" on Google. =)

Heh...we used to own "Miss Belle". Who was a cat.

(It was short for "MISSing invisiBELL"....she disappeared for a few days when we first got her.)

Ha! Well, I thought I might use "Belling the Cat" to avoid confusion with Bill the Cat. If Bell can be a name, too, I should definitely do it. Either that or dedicate it to your cat (and I think my cats would be jealous...)

I don't know if you'll find it too primitive to meet your needs,
but I got some work done with my Javascript based tool "PlayerPal":
http://alienbill.com/2600/playerpal.html
There's also a Playfield version:
http://alienbill.com/2600/playfieldpal.html

Yes! I saw these. They (along with your and Andrew Davie's tutorials) were helpful in seeing how other people wrote sprite and playfield code. I particularly liked your lode runner editor, by the way. The best thing about all of your tools is that they're so accessible. Anybody with a Javascript-enabled browser can try them out and even save their results for later. I bet they encourage people just by providing an easy way to start on an idea.

Weird. I can feel my blood getting heated to restoke up some 2600 programming efforts...there's so many other things
in my life I should look into doing first though...

In the leaflet inside the case for his first album, Mike Golay wrote:

        Hello.
        I wanted to make a record.
        So I did.
        I hope you like it.
        Be good.

So I say, in the game instructions in my mind, "I wanted to make a VCS Cartridge..."
Jacob